Monday, February 25, 2008

Why I Love Deirdre Cannon Most of All

Planttalk is my favorite story in this book. It's a variation on the theme that began in the first Deirdre story, "Tundra Trail," which is, "Does anybody really like me?" That theme informs all the Deirdre stories.

Deirdre really has only one friend--Jodi--and Planttalk tells us how Deirdre almost loses her. Not intentionally, which at least would show some gumption. And, what's even worse, because of a man who bores Jodi. Deirdre wants him, and gets him in the way just about any woman can "get" Josh. He likes people, and he likes physical intimacy, and he's not particular about sharing like Jodi.

So a love triangle forms: Josh pines for Jodi, and Deirdre pines for Josh. He's had Jodi, and afterward she's forever out of his reach. He doesn't know what to do because he's used to standing around and waiting for people to fly to the warmth of his personality.

Originally there was a scene in the title story in which one of Natalie's lovers, the one who got her pregnant in that version, wonders if Josh has a "magic dick." I took that scene out because it didn't fit Natalie. But it is an apt comment about Josh.

Some of the readers of these stories commented that the Deirdre stories weren't really stories per se: Where's the conflict? What's the point? and so on. I suppose they're right; her stories are more like sketches or moments. I meant for her to comment on Natalie and Debbie, since those three never really get comfortable with each other. I'm not sure her stories actually do what I intended, but still her character is close to my heart.


No comments: